Thursday, January 13, 2011

More first month impressions


So far, I've logged only about 560 miles on the car. Hyundai recommends a break-in period of 600 miles, so I have been, for the most part, light-footed and driving in typical LA traffic. Like all cars, it's not perfect, but it has so much going for it! Although 90% of my driving is done solo, I am certain that I will make use of all the room inside for more people and stuffs. The front seats are fairly comfortable (the heated seats are a godsend these days even in LA!) and the rears are simply one of the best back seats I've ever sat it.

The infotainment system is also very easy to use thanks to the logical menu structure and the clear, crisp screen. The HVAC controls are a bit busy, but it is still fairly easy to use once you know where the buttons are. The Lexicon stereo is truly outstanding, with deep, clear, distortion-free sound from any of the sources available. While there may be some features that are not available (infrared night view, blind spot monitoring system, etc.), but I find that those "missing" features are really more gimmick and $$ than what anyone really wants or needs.

As for the driving characteristics, the Genesis really does drive very well. Although the car does ride much firmer than it should, I've also noticed how quickly it rebounds and doesn't bounce up and down when it rolls over big bumps. It also seems to ride more comfortably as speeds build. The ZF 6-speed changes gear quickly and imperceptibly, and the Tau V8 is smooth and very powerful (not to mention its got a nice throaty sound!). The steering is a bit numb on-center, but it is nicely weighted and feels very similar to a Mercedes E550 I've test driven a while back.

Yet after all this, I do have to mention that it is not much fun driving this car, though not due to any fault of the Genesis. I had a Toyota Solara V6 and a Toyota pickup from way back. Both cars COMBINED do not equal the power that the Genesis 4.6 makes! Yet, driving around in the city and the congested freeways, there is absolutely no opportunity to wind out the 4.6 and enjoy the soundtrack! Just yesterday, I accelerated to pass YET ANOTHER Prius that was clogging up traffic and testing everyone's sanity. After just an instant of hearing the V8 come to life, I was already going way too fast and 5 car lengths ahead of the dreaded Prius! The speed is so deceptive in this car that it's amazing and alarming at the same time. Because of its quiet interior and the effortless acceleration, even a big surge of acceleration is less sensational and less visceral than in my old Solara in city driving. The funny thing is, the Solara is probably one of THE most boring cars ever made! I think the Genesis may just be much more suitable for the open roads. Can't wait 'til I take the Genesis on a summer road trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment