Sunday, January 23, 2011

Another gorgeous weekend


Yes, it is yet another very gorgeous Sunday afternoon perfect for a quick jaunt out to the beach. It looks like I'm getting a pretty good flow of readers here, so I'll certainly do my best to fill you in at least once a week and try to have my camera with me more often! I was actually just out here at Torrance Beach on Friday for a nice long bike ride, but it looked so nice outside I just had to come back. I also took some friends out to dinner near downtown LA and the navi became very handy in traffic. I've now logged over 900 miles on the Genesis and it has been every bit as good as advertised. Yes, there are some issues, including some intermittent noise coming from the dash (sounds like plastic rubbing), so I'm hoping it'll work itself out (highly doubtful) or the dealer can remedy the issue when I go in for the complementary 1000 mile check up next week. Nonetheless, it is a great car to drive and I've been drowning out the noise with the awesome stereo (just wish XM had some better programming!). 

On the open road, the Genesis does feel a bit more balanced than some of the other cars at its price point (Buick LaCrosse, Ford Taurus, Lexus ES350, etc.). The steering is nicely weighted and actually has a decent feel, brakes work and feel great, and the engine has a muscular intake noise. The ride also doesn't feel as harsh as when I first drove the car, but I might just be getting used to it now (BTW the tire pressure was correctly set at 33 psi by the dealer). I've driven both the LaCrosse CXS and the Taurus SHO, both of which cost about the same as the Genesis 4.6. Both are actually very decent cars, but their interiors do not quite match the Genesis' cabin in quality and feel. In the case of the LaCrosse, it drives similar to the Genesis around town (almost as firm  a ride included), but on the freeway, it becomes a bit twitchy and the steering felt too light. The SHO is a better driving car than the Buick, and right up there with the big Hyundai (although I have not tried it out on the freeways), but all the interior bits and buttons just felt cheaper and less precise.

I also gave the Genesis a quick wash on Friday after getting a few detailing products from Amazon:
Meguiar's A3332 Quik Detailer Mist & Wipe Spray, The Absorber Synthetic Drying Chamois, 27, Mothers 20324 FX Tire Shine - 24 oz
The Quik Detailer spray works really well along door sills, but I remain skeptical about wiping down an entire dusty/dirty car. I'm sure it'd be fine, but I was taught better than to run a towel on a dirty body panel! The Chamois worked really well and dried everything really quickly and was very easy to wring out. Lastly, the Tire Shine worked well and my tires still has a "greasy" look even after running around over the weekend.

I also have some mileage update here:
260.6 miles on 15.46 gal. = 16.8 mpg (17 mpg total so far)

That's it for now! I'll try to make a video one of these days for all you avid readers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment