Sunday, May 29, 2011

Roomy rear seat

Last Thursday, I gave a ride to a couple of colleagues for lunch. They were two older gentlemen (some of the nicest people I've met) and one of them asked about the Genesis. First question was of course, what kind of car is it? When I told him it's a Hyundai, he asked about the reliability. While I have had some minor fit and finish issues with the car, everything mechanical and electrical has been flawless so far.

Even with the flurry of media hype and Superbowl commercials, the Genesis definitely remains a mystery car to non-car folks. The same goes for the whole reliability issue as well. Although Hyundai and Kia have made unprecedented strides in improving their reliability and image, some people still cringe and think they're unreliable. Perception can be a very difficult thing to change. If I had gone with a BMW or Mercedes, he certainly would not have had to ask what kind of car it was or how the reliability is (even though they are notoriously unreliable and expensive to fix, but maybe people know this already). Overall, I think my new passengers were pretty impressed with the rear seat room and refinement of the car. I even got to show off the automatic rear sunshade.

Speaking of reliability though, yesterday, I washed and waxed my Genesis and found the paint on the doors below the chrome strips were showing some orange peel roughness. The passenger side front door is the most noticeable, but since it's all under the chrome strip, it's hard to see unless someone gets on their knees and takes a closer look. I suppose I could try sanding/polishing, but because it is at the bottom parts of the doors, it would mean laying out on the driveway for a while. Otherwise, the rest of the car looks fantastic after a fresh coat of wax.

No comments:

Post a Comment